Teaching English as a Second Language Using the Bible
Below are books that Christians and missionaries may use to teach English using the Bible. Also below are the places where you may buy the books.
- English in Action Student Workbook by Wally Cirafesi
- English in Action Teacher's Manual by Wally Cirafesi
- English Teaching As Christian Mission: An Applied Theology by Donald B. Snow, Tom Scovel
- ESL : Creating a Quality English As a Second Language Program : A Guide for Churches
by Susan E. Burke
- The Gift of the Stranger: Faith, Hospitality, and Foreign Language Learning by David I. Smith, Barbara M. Carvill
- Handbook for Teaching Bible-Based Esl (Esl Bible Study Series) by J. Wesley Eby, et al
- Learning English through the Bible by Louise M. Ebner
- Learning English Using Punctuation and Capitalization: Bible-Based English Grammar (Textbook) by Louise M. Ebner
- Learning English With the Bible: A Systematic Approach to Bible-Based English Grammar: Answer Guide by Louise M. Ebner
Most of the books above may be bought at:
Amazon.com has a good description of the books and sometimes has some reviews of the books on their web site. If you do not like ordering from www.amazon.com, you may also order the same books from www.bn.com
From my experience (Barnes and Noble) www.bn.com
takes phone orders, whereas www.amazon.com does not.
Below are some organizations which might sell some of the books above. If you can not find the book on their web site, try calling them up and ordering the book.
has an excellent web site which refers to some of the books above.
or go to the home page http://www.multilanguage.com
and look for ESL materials
Literacy and Evangelism International also has some books on teaching English using the Bible.
Please send all updates to
ENGLISH-TEACHING MINISTRY USING BIBLE-BASED CURRICULUM -- Ministries
around the world have used English in Action, published by The
Navigators, to help beginners learn English while introducing them to
God's Word. A new set of books has been released for intermediate
students. Developed by Wally Cirafesi, head of the TESOL program at
Moody Bible Institute, both sets of books use Bible stories to help
students learn and practice English. Each set comes with a student
workbook and a teacher's guide that allows someone with little or no
teaching experience to have a powerful ministry teaching English. They
also have a new training video to help teachers put the material into
practice. To reach Dawson Media, a ministry of The Navigators, call
toll-free (888) 547-9635 in the U.S. or (719) 594-2100 elsewhere, or
fax them at (719) 594-2553. Visit their web site at
(International orders must be placed by phone or fax).
NEW ENGLISH CURRICULUM -- Many of you have used the Bible-based
English curriculum from International Network as part of your
evangelism strategy. For several years Adventures in English And
Exploring English have been available. International Network now has a
third option: Discoveries in English is a 12-lesson curriculum using
reading lessons from the New Testament. Teachers' books and student
books are available. For a sample lesson of any of the three books send
an e-mail to Don Donat
(at)efcm(dot)net [As a means of preventing
spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .], or USA callers can call Don at
262-697-1180 for a sample lesson.
Visitors since Nov. 1, 2004